[Foundation-l] FYI: Welcome to this years Wikimania site: Egypt, the land with cultur ministers with special taste in history, culture and all the good things

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Wed May 21 23:20:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Mathias Schindler
<mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brotherhood person: Egyptian libraries are full of Israeli books!
>> Culture Minister: No they're not!
>> Brotherhood person: Yes, they're full of them.
>> Culture Minister: There isn't one Israeli book in an Egyptian library.
>>  If any are found, I'll burn them myself!
>
> To sum it up, he expresses basically the opposite of what Wikimedia stands for.

To be fair, again, I don't read Arabic, and this is just my best guess
of the gist based on my reading comprehension of the google
translation.

He stresses that he was not actually proposing book-burning, but
rather emphasizing that Israeli books are banned from the libraries.

Also, he talks about restoring historic synagogues and the Cairo
Geniza.  I think they're also something about translating Egyptian
books into Hebrew for the benefit of Arabs in Israel, but the
translation isn't very good at that point.

Thanks,
Pharos