[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger oflosing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed May 21 21:17:36 UTC 2008

Nor would Wikinews, but there's a minor niggle there. The NYT has a chief
editor who is the one you sue... and he has insurance. I strongly suspect
the anarchic nature of Wikinews means we'd never get libel insurance, even
though community policing is fairly effective. And who would take that
"lightning rod" position of being the person to sue?

This is one of a handful of issues where Wikinews and Wikipedia are worlds
apart. Wikipedia can afford to be patient with the Bauer case and let the
stupid woman's legal action simply build up more sources for a post-case
article. Anything on Wikinews has to be as current as possible; I coined a
phrase to describe one of the key differences, "Facts don't cease to be
facts, but news ceases to be news".

Brian McNeil