[Foundation-l] Florence and the election

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue May 20 19:25:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
 But I do want
> to strongly encourage more thoughtful people who care about Wikimedia,
> whether or not they are female, to take advantage of this opportunity
> and make themselves available. (Again, this does not reflect on any of
> the current candidates, I simply want as many good options as possible,
> and figure the voting system will help us make a strong choice.)

Can I strongly second this? Florence has served as an exemplary model
of a community representative; we will miss her, and she has left a
big role to fill.

But I hope also that her legacy is inspiring to some of the many
people from all sorts of projects (big and small), of any gender, who
have both a thoughtful perspective on what the Foundation could and
should be as a leader for free content and community-driven
governance, and who have a commitment to maintaining an efficient,
long-term mechanism for keeping some of the most amazing projects
around up and running. I hope that those inspired people will run for
the Board of Trustees. It's an incredibly important role, to take up
both the trust and guidance of the community (to be our representative
both personally and through getting as much input as possible), while
also shouldering the responsibility of keeping the projects going.

I'm not running (my goodness, how do you people find the time?!) but I
hope that many of you will.
-- phoebe