[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger of losing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 19 08:47:17 UTC 2008

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
>> As I explicitly said, it doesn't matter if you actually demand it or
>> not, just saying there are legal concerns is effectively a demand for
>> its removal.
>>
> No, it is not.

It is hard to avoid the impression that every word spoken by the pope is
/ex cathedra/. You and Mike in particular will frequently want to
comment as ordinary editors, but it is hard to avoid arguments like "but
Jimbo wrote in June 2003 that ...."  You may have no memory of what you
wrote then, and may even have changed views since, but for someone who
is trying to push a point of view it is an irrefutable argument to be
exploited.

Much as I would decry it, there remains a level of deference to
authority within the projects that is not easily overcome. Much of what
you say is treated as a demand irrespective of whether you intended it
that way.

Ec