[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger of losing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 19 07:12:37 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> When a trained attorney says something could cause a lawsuit, generally they are right, and generally the best course of action is to kill the something in question before someone dashes to their friendly neighborhood U.S. Courthouse.
I find that attitude absolutely frightening.  Considerably more
frightening than the remote prospect of a lawsuit on which it is based.
An attorney has an obligation to his client to advise him that certain
activities could lead to a lawsuit.  Nevertheless, statute law is not
the beginning and end of the law; it is not a cathedral where all must
bow down in prayer.  Thorough advice would include not only a recitation
of the statute, but possible defences to a prima facie breach of that
statute.  It would include advice on the likelihood of prosecution, and
ways to mitigate that likelihood.  There could be any number of other
factors that could be raised, based on the specific situation.  He needs
to bring the client to the point where he can make an informed decision.

In the end though, it's the client's decision, and that decision depends
as much on the client's risk tolerance.  Accepting the consequences of
one's own action does not mean hanging on a lawyer's every word whenever
a decision needs to be made just to have the convenient excuse, "My
lawyer said ..." whenever things go wrong.  Such irresponsible people
might just as well be getting their legal advice from a tarot card reader.

Ec