[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sun May 18 19:07:49 UTC 2008

Delirium writes:

> Since several board members expressed surprise at being initially
> presented with the agreement to sign, it seems that did indeed happen.

Just to be clear about this -- the Board has never been given the
Statement of Obligations and Responsibility until just recently. It
had not been drafted at the time of the Board meeting.

A different agreement, focused primarily on nondisparagement and
confidentiality but without any larger detailing of board-member
obligations, had been presented to the Board but, due to an error
(possibly my error), the Board received a document that was drafted
for employees rather than Board members. (I'd drafted a different one
for the Board, but unaccountably the wrong document was in the Board
packet.) So there was some surprise that the Board members were being
addressed by the document as "employees" when in fact that is not what
they are. Perfectly appropriate for them to be surprised, under the
circumstances. The resulting discussion led to my being assigned to
draft a more comprehensive document, which I have only just recently
circulated.

I don't think there was any surprise about the issue itself, since it
was on the Board's agenda, and since I was asked to participate in the
meeting in order to discuss it.

--Mike