[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Sun May 18 18:14:58 UTC 2008

Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>  > As to your suggested changes in wording, feel free to make those
>>>  > recommendations to the Board. Again, it's worth keeping in mind that
>>>  > the drafting of this Statement was done at Board request.
>>>  >

>>> That definitely surprises me.  How exactly did the Board make such a request?
>>>
>> How do you mean? They probably discussed it in a board meeting and
>> decided that one of them would go and talk to Mike (or maybe Sue, as
>> his boss) and ask him to draw up a draft agreement. How else would it
>> happen?
>>

> Generally when a board makes a request it does so by passing a
> resolution.  Resolutions are the means by which a board acts as a
> board.  One problem with discussing it in a board meeting and deciding
> that one of them will go and talk to Mike or Sue, is that leaves a lot
> of room for miscommunication as to what exactly the board is
> requesting.  This is especially true when there is disagreement among
> the board members as to what exactly they want, which appears to be
> the case in this instance.

We were both there when the discussion was held, Anthony, so there's no
broken telephone in this particular instance. I think it'd be fair to
say the board is engaged in a conversation about what it wants: as I
think Jimmy said upthread, Mike's document is a draft for board members
to kick around.

--

Sue Gardner
Executive Director

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate