[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger of losing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sun May 18 17:28:43 UTC 2008

The issue in short form (without taking any sides on it) is that your
student newspaper, if it writes something illegal, is liable as an
organization. Wikimedia, however, is protected under the CDA as long
as it acts as a provider, and not an editor. Wikileaks is implying
that by pulling the story they are acting as an editor. Mike Godwin is
saying otherwise. So, that's why this is controversial: because the
issue at hand is involving the potential liability of the foundation.

-Dan