[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:30:06 UTC 2008

On 18/05/2008, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

>  Anthony writes:
>
>  >>>
>  >>>  What recourse does the board have against a board member that
>  >>> violates
>  >>> this agreement?  Expulsion from the board?
>  >>
>  >> There are other legal remedies as well, including (for example)
>  >> enjoining the publication of confidential information.
>  >>
>  > Mike, I'm not talking about the confidential information provision
>  > here, I'm talking about the non-disparagement provision.
>

> Well, since you referred to "this agreement," I understood you to be
>  referring to the whole thing, not just to a particular clause. I hope
>  you can see why I read it that way.

While a literal reading of his question would suggest that
interpretation, the fact the this entire conversation is about the
non-disparagement clause would seem to make it fairly obvious that
that's what he was talking about.

>  > It says "criticize", but you are interpreting it as meaning "attack".
>  > These words do not mean the same thing.
>

> I do, however, believe the locutions "personally criticize" and
>  "personally attack" are synonymous.

I don't think we're going to make any progress until we resolve this issue.