[Foundation-l] Fwd: [WL-News] Wikimedia Foundation in danger of losing immunity under the Communications Decency Act

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:22:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> (Resent with correct subject header)
>
> George writes:
>
>> POST-publication control, such as removing libelous or offensive or
>> questionable content, has been held to be protected under CDA and
>> other legal theories.
>>
>> I think WikiLeaks are confused.
>
> It's pretty clear that Wikileaks's analysis didn't come from a lawyer
> familiar with CDA caselaw.
>

> --Mike

I think we all may be missing the point here, however. Regardless of
the legalities, what possible business could WMF have in keeping
Wikinews from publishing stories that are critical of WMF? Is this not
about as clear a conflict of interest as you get?

Personally, I don't agree that Virgin Killer is child porn (or porn at
all, I see nothing sexual at all about the image), but the fact that I
disagree with the story makes me no less disturbed to see it getting
quashed. I'm glad for Wikileaks, this type of thing is totally
unacceptable, and I'm doubly disappointed to see it from WMF. (Doesn't
Wikinews have some type of "not censored" policy? Does that only apply
if they don't dare criticize Wikimedia?)

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.