[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sun May 18 06:48:54 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton writes:

>  If you consider all (personal) criticism to be an
> attack, then clearly you're going to have a problem with it.

It's not really a matter of what I consider to be a personal criticism
or a personal attack. I think it's really a matter of what the Board
members judge to be a personal criticism or attack, and they are the
ones who ultimately will interpret this provision.  That said, I think
it is entirely possible to criticize someone's actions without
attacking their character (for example). The notion that the only way
to express disagreement with someone is to criticize them personally
seems to me to be dead certain to lead to personal animosity.

> (really, I struggle to see how you can
> criticise anything other than a person or group of people -
> criticising what they do, rather than them, is just semantics).

This doesn't strike me as a struggle, and I disagree that this is just
semantics.  I certainly know how to express disagreement without
personally criticizing someone, and I think this posting of mine
actually stands as a demonstration of how to do this.

--Mike