[Foundation-l] Board statement of responsibility

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Sun May 18 06:23:03 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Sometimes that criticism has to be
> public to be effective - for example, how can we make an informed vote
> for board members if we're not allowed to know that they've done
> various things wrong during their previous term in office (of course,
> I would expect anyone making such accusations to provide evidence to
> support them)?

A few questions. Does this apply only to criticism of candidates who are
sitting board members, or should the other candidates also be subject to
the same level of criticism?

Regarding the "evidence" you'd expect to accompany this criticism, what
would you consider evidence on whether someone is suitable or unsuitable
for board membership? That question to me goes well beyond simply
whether they have done something wrong, or things that can be proved in
some quasi-legal sense. It requires an evaluation and the exercise of
judgment. When your boss gives you a performance review, or your
professor gives your exam a grade, is it appropriate to expect that they
"prove" the basis for their evaluation? That seems like a comparable
situation.

Finally, in past elections board members have expressed opinions on
candidates, and this has been criticized as interfering, unseemly, or an
attempt to manipulate the election process. In light of the request for
public criticism, how would you resolve this dilemma?

--Michael Snow