[Foundation-l] Pointing out to an oddity

Jesse Plamondon-Willard pathoschild at gmail.com
Thu May 15 03:11:50 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> The whole point of this excercise
> is that it was not technically *unfeasible* for a single actor on the
> english language Wikipedia to mass spam all the editors on that
> wikipedia (and with a generous offer to help - but not initiate -
> efforts on other languages).

Certainly, but doing so on 700 or so more wikis using the
Special:Emailuser interface has some complications. For example, it
would result in many editors getting multiple notification emails if
they have several eligible accounts with different names (which is
common). For another, none of us have the time to do it by loading
Special:Emailuser for every eligible user (unless you're offering to
do so).

The ideal solution is to send a single notification email to a list of
the confirmed addresses belonging to eligible voters, filtered to
remove duplicates. This is easy and efficient and resolves the above
problems, but we need help from a system administrator to do so since
we don't have access to those email addresses. We have a system
administrator who will generate the list of eligible accounts, so
getting the list of emails should be relatively easy (although we may
not see them ourselves, depending on privacy considerations).

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is (*frankly*) not good enough.

This frankly is good enough. We're not obliged to even try; we are
only volunteers serving in our free time, and sending email
notification is purely an extra service beyond what we were asked to
do. You're welcome to mention any suggestions, but I think starting a
conversation like that is inappropriate.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)