[Foundation-l] Pointing out to an oddity

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed May 14 16:07:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Philippe Beaudette <
philippebeaudette at gmail.com> wrote:

> KTC wrote:
>
> They are available on the submission page if one want to see it. The
> committee would just prefer they not be as visibly available until we
> have confirmed the candidates meet the eligibility criteria and that
> their candidate submission meet the election regulation. This is partly
> to ensure fairness to all those who stand. Say a candidate submission is
> too long (as has been the case a couple of time), it does take time for
> them to correct it. In the mean time, if it were all widely visible, the
> other candidates can/will complain about unfair advantages gained over
> the exposure to the longer statement.
>
> ___________________________
>
> KTC appropriate conveys the feelings of the committee on this one.  These
> presentations are currently being SUBMITTED; not PRESENTED.  At this point,
> they're being given to the committee so that we can begin things like
> qualification of the candidate, translation of the statements, etc.  Once
> they are released, they'll be in much wider distribution.  This is a
> slightly different process from last year.

If the intent is to wait until the end of the submission period before
releasing any of them, then I think this process does considerable harm by
discouraging additional volunteers for the position.  While there may be a
mild advantage to the candidate to submitting early, I think there is a
bigger advantage to Wikimedia in presenting candidacies on a rolling
acceptance basis.

-Robert Rohde