[Foundation-l] Pointing out to an oddity

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed May 14 07:59:56 UTC 2008

Harel Cain wrote:
> You have to remember the low turnout rates in earlier board elections.
> My impression, based on talking to many active wikimedians at the
> local project level, is that whatever happens in meta is somewhat out
> of reach, or they don't care, or it's too much to keep track of. The
> local level of activity is what's important for most people. That's
> especially true for the smaller languages. Choosing between candidates
> who are [at least partly] unfamiliar to most voters is something that
> many people will just avoid, it may feel as a "cat in the bag" to
> them, or they just wouldn't care enough. People care much more about
> "rogue admins" in their home project than about the identity of board
> members. It's probably natural.

Certainly.
I'll note though, that they do not fail to come voting on the petition,
which might suggest the process set up to sign petition is more
effective than the process for candidating or commenting. Unless it is
easier to sign a petition than to start thinking of questions of course :-)

> Attending the panel devoted to a post-mortem of the 2007 elections at
> Wikimania 2007, I could just feel that this matter was of interest to
> a quite distinct and not very big group of people, but not to most.
>
> Full disclosure: I am myself one of those three brave candidates :-)

yeah, and apparently the only one on this list :-(
I'll ask you questions before the 22nd. I am travelling 6 days over 7 in
the "ask a question" week, so it is not super practical in terms of
communication :-(

Let me start by a small one... what is your feeling with regards to
transparency and confidentiality ?

Best

Ant