[Foundation-l] Options for community organization

Harel Cain harel.cain at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:58:05 UTC 2008

My take on the matter [hi everyone, glad to join the list!] is that
you have to bear in mind that for some of the most active editors on
Wikimedia projects, this activity is a major hobby and an important
part of their [our] social life. People want to make a difference,
even stand out in their own special way. "Organizing" stuff is just
such a way. It happens in any hobby-based club, congregation etc.
That's people!

The "bane" of the Wikimedia-editing hobby is that it's basically a
solitary experience of people sitting at home in front of the
computer. There's just so much goodwill activity of "organizing stuff"
that people can do in this environment, even if you take into account
all committees, projects, meetups etc. etc. That's also why the online
"managerial" roles are so coveted.

I think if you look this way at all attempts to form assemblies,
councils, you name it -- then they become the natural, understandable
processes that they are, even if they cannot always be objectively
justified .

Harel