[Foundation-l] Community Assembly

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 12 16:43:59 UTC 2008

Tim Landscheidt wrote:
> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>> What job will it perform? What authority and power does it have?
>>> The Community Assembly will the unified voice of the Wikimedia Community. It would set community policy on a global scale and administer community processes. The exact powers given to it shall be determined by the community in its Charter.
>>>
>> Any such group becomes suspect when it begins by phrasing its mission in
>> terms of authority and power.  It's all very romantic to speak of a
>> unified voice, but the unification has to happen first.  Who drafts the
>> community charter that is the basis for these powers?
>>
> To me, the "unified voice" is not romantic, but frightening.
> I sincerely dislike the idea that some body might exist that
> will pass resolutions "in the name of the community": If
> there is a consensus in the community, there is no need to
> pass a resolution. If there is no consensus, there should
> not be a resolution at all.

"Unified voice" can be either, depending on the way it's implemented.
The kind of unified voice that prevails around some of the current en:wp
processes is indeed frightening.  It is romantic when a person believes
that his solution alone will be the magic bullet that solves all these
problems.  The fallacious excluded middle in your syllogism relates to
not knowing whether there is a consensus.  It is impossible to know
about the consensus before you know the resolution.

I can't speak for Geoffrey's assembly, but there has been no statement
from the Council that it will pass resolutions "in the name of the
community".  It could pass resolutions in its own name, but unless it
can garner wider community support those resolutions will go no further.
> To repeat my two questions I have posted some time ago
> with no answer yet:
>
> 1. How will any council, assembly or whatever further the
>    foundation's mission?

This trick question depends on how you interpret the foundation's
mission.  As long as the foundation's mission is based on dominant
paternalism it can't further such a mission.
> 2. What are the non-meta issues that the board has handled
>    not as well as the council-, assembly- or whatever-to-be?

What do YOU mean by "non-meta issues"?  Clearly, a statement about what
the Board has handled "not as well", is completely speculative in the
absence of a council or other body.  It is nevertheless clear the the
Trustees are limited in number, and are thus limited in the tasks they
can undertake.  The risk is also that a deep involvement in community
editing processes could compromise the protections and defences that it
can claim as an ISP.

Ec