[Foundation-l] Community Assembly

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Mon May 12 06:57:59 UTC 2008

It'll work best if it incorporates video chat.  There are all sorts of
problems with purely text-based communication; people work together
best when they can see each other.

(I know, I know, there's no open source video chat, right?  There's no
open source monitor manufacturer either; that doesn't mean I use a
dotmatrix printout to see what the output is.)

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Jesse Plamondon-Willard
<pathoschild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> If it would make you happier, the consensus provision can be changed
>  to a 60% majority.
>
>  We can rarely achieve a 60% majority consensus for most issues on this
>  list, and its membership is smaller than that of an all-inclusive
>  assembly. Depending on voting also makes numerical superiority more
>  important than meaningful debate, so that a cultural or
>  special-interest minority (likely including en-Wikipedia) would
>  dominate the community through the assembly using numerical
>  superiority. Reaching many bad decisions due to poor representation is
>  worse than reaching few good decisions.
>
>  --
>  Yours cordially,
>  Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)