[Foundation-l] Dealing with interwiki disruption

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 11 04:30:24 UTC 2008

Christiano Moreschi wrote:
> Naturally. But half the time, when dealing with cross-wiki disruption, we don't need checkuser. It's something basic: the same hoax on pl and en, or the same crankery being pushed by obviously the same peopl on fr and en. Not everyone uses IRC, which seems to be currently the fastest (only?) way to talk to someone from these other projects.

At the risk of stating the obvious, anything but the silliest and
ineffectual forms of disruption on projects in different languages
requires a good understanding of those languages.  For a hoax to be
credible it needs to reflect reasonable linguistic sophistication, and
an ability to at least mount a coherent early level defence of the
hoax.  Native English speakers are notorious for their lack of skills in
other languages, so if there is going to be any significant disruptive
behaviour from any one individual the other language will more likely
have been the first target and English the secondary target.

Smaller sister projects in the same language tend not to have the same
high profile as the Wikipedia for that language.  They mostly fly below
the disruptor's radar.

Ec