[Foundation-l] privacy policy update

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Fri May 9 14:28:12 UTC 2008

  Lodewijk writes:

> That would still imply to the community that someone is falling under
> this policy, and that the user is therefore "sought", something I'd
> rather prefer to remain private information instead of public
> knowledge :)

I made exactly the same point when we were discussing revisions of our
privacy policy with EFF.  The EFF lawyers suggested that, in instances
where we don't have an active (working) e-mail for a User, we attempt
notifying the User on the Talk page.  I suggested that many and
perhaps most users would prefer that we not do this in public for all
to see.

--Mike