[Foundation-l] ANNOUNCE: Write the Next Chapter for Wikipedia and Podcast

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu May 8 18:53:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 5:20 AM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> I'm writing to announce two thing of interest to the community:
>
> 1. "The Wikipedia Story" wiki invites Wikimedia community folks to
> help write the "next chapter" for Wikipedia. The result will appear
> in the hardback book "The Wikipedia Story: How a bunch of nobodies
> created the world's greatest encyclopedia" a nonfiction work which
> will be released in January 2009 by Hyperion
>
> Many already know I have been writing this book for over a year, after
> being a community member for over five years, attending three
> Wikimanias and conducting countless interviews with Wikipedians around
> the world. I am inviting the community to collaboratively write the
> last chapter as a tribute to and demonstration of the extraordinary
> users I've had the privilege of working with. Details can be found
> here:
>
> Link
> http://wikipediastory.com/wiki/Main_Page

Andrew,
Congratulations on your book, and I hope many people contribute.
Between "Wikipedia: The Missing Manual", "How Wikipedia Works" and now
"The Wikipedia Story", '08-'09 would seem to be the year that we built
the Wikipedia bookshelf* in real life :) It's very exciting!

cheers,
phoebe

* In English, at least; the Germans have had "Wikipedia: Das Buch" for some time