[Foundation-l] [Wikimania-l] Egypt security profile for Wikimania 2008

Justin Senseney jsensene at umd.edu
Wed May 7 01:47:07 UTC 2008

IThe train is a very comfortable way to go from Cairo to Alexandria.
Here<http://www.egyptrail.gov.eg/docs/index.html>is the Egyptian
National Railways website.  You'll see a schedule and fares
panel on the right side, where Cairo to Alexandria is already there.

When you press submit, look for the "Turbine" routes.  These leave Cairo and
make their first stop 2 - 2.5 hours later in Alexandria (first class is 46LE
= $8.5).  (The "Express" route makes all local stops and takes at least 3
(first class is 35LE)).

On this <http://www.seat61.com/Egypt.htm#Cairo%20-%20Alexandria> website,
you'll see a lot of good info too for getting around Egypt in general.  Note
that they also list an "Ordinary" route that takes 4 hours ($2).  This one
is not recommended for tourists for safety concerns, and (allegedly) can not
be sold to tourists.  That website also lists some ways to buy your ticket
in advance, if you want.

Finally you get a 33% discount if you have an ISIC card.  I've recommended
first class simply because everyone goes for second class, so first will
give you room to put your luggage, etc.

-Justin