[Foundation-l] A new proposal regarding US chapters

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Tue May 6 22:46:44 UTC 2008

Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> [...]
> But frankly I don't even understand what you mean by having all local
> or regional activities under a single umbrella.  If I, in Tampa, want
> to run a "scavenger hunt and free content photography contest", why
> should this be organized by someone in New York City?  Do I get a
> checking account here in Tampa to buy the refreshments, or do I have
> them send me a check from New York City?  I guess I have to have a
> checking account, because when someone donates $10 in cash towards the
> event, I'm not sending the cash through the mail, and I'm not buying a
> money order or sending it Western Union.  I guess I could put it all
> under my pillow.  Let's hope all of it gets spent on project funds,
> cause there's no way some bureaucrat in New York City is going to
> figure out if it doesn't.  After all, the national organization, run
> out of New York City, has to appoint me as an officer, so that I can
> have checkwriting privileges.  And most likely without even having met
> me.
> [...]

In Germany (and probably in the SEPA at large), transferring
money seems to be a lot easier (and cheaper) than in the US.
And most members of an organization regularly put up front
minor expenses (for refreshments, etc.) and have them reim-
bursed later on. That makes it difficult for foreigners
where checks are something your grandparents tell you about
to grasp the intricacies of founding US chapter(s).

  So, hats off to those who succeed!

Tim