[Foundation-l] A new proposal regarding US chapters

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue May 6 21:26:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Henning Schlottmann
>
> <h.schlottmann at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >  If NYC is the frontrunner, then have them set up /the/ national chapter
>  >  for the United States. I don't understand why anyone would want to have
>  >  several incorporated chapters in the USA. One should be enough. All
>  >  local or regional activities can happen under that umbrella.
>  >

>  It's not that easy.  Pennsylvania/Philadelphia were actually the first
>  ones interested in becoming a "chapter" and now we have Washington,
>  D.C. that is interested in creating a chapter as well.

Moreover, the PA folks have indicated that they're interested in
forming an organization whether the WMF is going to go along with them
or not.  So if you don't allow a Wikimedia Pennsylvania, or you try to
micromanage Wikimedia Pennsylvania from some other location, you'll
wind up with a "Wikis in PA".  To quote wknight8111, "We were going to
call it "Wikimedia Pennsylvania" or whatever, but if we can't use that
name we will call it something else".