[Foundation-l] A new proposal regarding US chapters

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue May 6 19:55:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Henning Schlottmann
<h.schlottmann at gmx.net> wrote:
>  Get the organizers of all local meetups, the Pennsylvanians, the New
>  Yorkers and everyone else who ever made some steps to chapterhood
>  together on a mailing list, ask around if one of the Wikipedians
>  involved is a lawyer who can handle any questions, choose a state where
>  to incorporate the chapter (based on locality of a few core members and
>  the answers of your lawyer) and set up the chapter. That's not rocket
>  science. Wikipedians usually are smart people, you should be able to get
>  it done without any problems.

I think you need to look at what's currently being done by Wikimedia
New York City.  They have a couple dozen or more people interested to
some extent in forming a chapter, they've appointed an interim
president, they've run a "scavenger hunt and free content photography
contest", they're looking into a project for the "digitization of the
CYCO Yiddish Encyclopedia", and they've "had preliminary discussions
about a free content photography contest at the Brooklyn Museum".
They've had numerous speakers at their meetings, and they have their
next live in-person meeting scheduled for June 1, 2008.

They've got well enough support for a chapter.  Telling them set up a
mailing list and invite other people from around the United States in
order to get this chapter formed doesn't make any sense.  I bet at
least half the people who will show up at that June 1 meeting wouldn't
even read the mailing list, let alone participate on it.