[Foundation-l] A new proposal regarding US chapters

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue May 6 15:30:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I propose that we promote Cary Bass to "Wikimedia US Affiliates
>  >  Coordinator", as an adjunct position to "Volunteer Coordinator" of the
>  >  WMF.
>
>  I'd like to table this specific idea for now.  It was built on the
>  presumption that a "group exemption" would necessitate much closer
>  cooperation of US chapters with the WMF.

Here's my current thoughts on the matter, after talking with you about
it privately.  It's an attempt at a grassroots bottom-up strategy
(which both the WMF and the chapters-to-be seem to want) which at the
same time attempts to avoid constantly reinventing the wheel.

Since you have 15 months before you have to file for a determination
letter, go ahead and set up the organization and get running, but hold
off on the Form 1023.

Then, let's say 6 months down the road, hopefully there will be at
least 4 or 5 local US chapters in some process of forming, but without
a determination letter.  At this point, each local chapter-to-be can
appoint one member to the board of a national organization (unless
there are too many, in which case some other election process can be
determined).  The WMF will also appoint one or more board members
(presumably with the rule that these people cannot be employees or
board members of the WMF).  The national organization will exist with
a mission solely to help form and oversee local US chapters.  It will
approve bylaws and articles of association/incorporation (there can be
templates for this), it will act as a liason with chap com, etc.  It
will *not* participate in any direct volunteer efforts, but would act
in a general supervisory capacity.  This organization can then apply
as the parent organization and get a group exemption for all the local
organizations.

Individual local chapters will get their trademark permissions
directly from the WMF.  The national organization will have no rights
to give these permissions directly, though it will of course assist in
communications between the local organizations and the WMF.  Meetings
of the national organization will be held online and/or through
teleconferencing, to keep the costs down to a minimum.  Each local
organization will be responsible to keep its own set of books, and
will submit financial statements to the national organization on a
regular basis (at least quarterly).  Local organizations will report
their activities to the national organization.  Local chapters will be
responsible for their own federal, state, and local taxes/tax returns.

Local chapters will kick up a small portion of their membership dues
to the national organization.  The national organization will use this
for any administrative costs, and, optionally to help subsidize new
local chapters just getting started up.  Any payments from the local
chapters to the WMF will go direct, not through the national
organization.  Every attempt will be made to keep the national
organization bare-bones as to expenses and revenues.  No Wikimania USA
funded by the national organization, if the chapters want that they
can get the WMF to do it or can form a Wikimania USA Inc.  No travel
expenses.  No servers.  No public relations staff or consultants.
Members of the local chapters should be the first point of contact for
any necessary expertise.  Any national press inquiries will be
directed to the WMF.

What does everyone think?