[Foundation-l] Cary Bass as "Wikimedia US Affiliates Coordinator"

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:33:43 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose that we promote Cary Bass to "Wikimedia US Affiliates
>  Coordinator", as an adjunct position to "Volunteer Coordinator" of the
>  WMF.

I'd like to table this specific idea for now.  It was built on the
presumption that a "group exemption" would necessitate much closer
cooperation of US chapters with the WMF.

But it appears now that we can have easy non-profit status with a
508(c)(1)(b), as long as our budget is $5,000 or less.  I don't see us
having a large budget for at least the first year or two, so this
should be OK, and maybe we can apply for a "group exemption" when we
are a more established organization.

There still may be a role for a "virtual chapter" to coordinate US
regional chapters, but perhaps nothing so directly top-down as this
proposal.

Thanks,
Pharos