[Foundation-l] Cary Bass as "Wikimedia US Affiliates Coordinator"

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:14:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM, effe iets anders
<effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Besides the fact that this is obviously within the job description of
>  Sue to determine (this is one of the things that the community has no
>  say in of course, and rightfully) I also want to state that it is
>  weird that you apperently feel such a need for the US, but not for
>  Japan, China, Africa or Russia, which, imho, have much larger cultural
>  and legal differences with Europe then the US...

The WMF is effectively legally managing the role of a "US chapter"
already, by administering all of the trademarks in this country, etc.

I believe it would be appropriate to them to manage a "virtual
chapter" also, under the person of a "Wikimedia US Affiliates
Coordinator", which would represent the various Wikimedians active
on-the-ground.

Possibly in the very long term "Wikimedia US" might be incorporated
separately, but it would seem like a great waste of energies to
establish a whole separate organization at this point.

Thanks,
Pharos