[Foundation-l] Cary Bass as "Wikimedia US Affiliates Coordinator"

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:08:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 2008/5/2 Pharos <pharosofalexandria at gmail.com>:
>  >
>  > > I propose that we promote Cary Bass to "Wikimedia US Affiliates
>  >  >  Coordinator", as an adjunct position to "Volunteer Coordinator" of the
>  >  >  WMF.
>  >
>  >  That's not a promotion, it's just more work!
>
>  Hm. It may sound like a selfish ask toward another selfish ask:
>  Please, leave people which job is to take care about all of us to take
>  care about all of us. If you need a person to be a coordinator for
>  Wikimedia US, please, ask Sue or the Board to find another person for
>  that.

Cary Bass is effectively already serving in this capacity.  When we
held "Wikipedia Takes Manhattan", I went to him for approval and
advice, because well, there is noone else in the WMF who has this job.

Being "Wikimedia US Affiliates Coordinator" would just formalize this
position, and this formalization should not require too much extra
energies to be expended in the near term, when the US Affiliates are
currently in an embryonic stage of development.  In 1-2 years time, I
would fully expect the situation to be reassessed, and the position
possibly fall to another staff member or qualified volunteer who could
devote more time to it.

If Sue or the Board know of another person for this role, that would
be fine, but Cary would certainly seem the most obviously qualified
candidate.

Thanks,
Pharos