[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Sat May 3 21:57:42 UTC 2008

"Milos Rancic" <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  As for Free State Bavaria, I don't know the details, but if they are
>>  just as independent as the US states (separate laws and courts,
>>  separate taxes, separate incorporation statutes, the need to file as a
>>  foreign corporation anyway), then I don't know of any reason not to
>>  have a chapter there as well.

> Bavaria is very well connected with the rest of Germany. This is the
> main reason why they don't need a separate chapter. Bavaria has its
> own Supreme Court, as well as they have a distinct conservative party
> from the rest of Germany (imagine California with something like "New
> Republican Party of California", which makes a coalition with
> Republican Party at the federal level; of course, without any office
> of RP in California).

FTR, I *sincerely* doubt that German Bundesländer can be
compared to US states. While they have own domains of legis-
lation (and each its own supreme court), the differences are
rather subtle in contrast to the US. No Louisiana Civil Code
here.

  But this should not be an exercise in comparative law. To
quote Sebastian's fine summary:

| This really only makes a difference if you let political geography dictate
| our choices. I don't see any obvious reason why that should be the case.
| Rather, we always have to come back to (1) what purposes chapters serve and
| (2) what structure best accomodates those purposes.

Define an objective, and then determine the best way to
achieve it. Otherwise you will get lost.

Tim