[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sat May 3 18:48:18 UTC 2008

I think the two are intertwined though. Distance and autonomy are
interconnected. For instance, California itself may not be ripe for a
state-wide chapter: it may merit a NoCal and SoCal chapter (north and
south). Whereas, Pennsylvania really has two major population centers
connected by a highway,  it's not so hard to get between Philly and
Pittsburg. Same thing with DC....it's trivial to get between Baltimore
and DC, but it's an all day trek to get to Boston, and at least a half
day to New York. For those purposes, regional chapters don't
necessarily work quite as well as Metro area chapters.

Take Florida for instance. The capital is in north florida, but it's
over 6 hours away by car from the major south florida metro area
(miami, ft. lauderdale, palm beach). and slightly less than that from
Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, and 4 from Orlando. So it makes sense to
have a chapter for Florida located somewhere in the south of the state
(probably Tampa or Orlando). But the distances tie directly into the
issue of autonomy, i.e. is the chapter state based, or metro area based?

On the other hand, some areas work quite well for regional chapters:
the New England area being a prime example of this. Similarly, South
Carolina and Pennsylvania work well as a state chapter.  DC is so
closely tied to Maryland and northern virginia that it would work best
as a metro area chapter.

The point is, I don't think a mandatory structure works well for the
US. Some areas are better suited to state, others metro area, others
still regional. But no single structure works for everything, so it's
better to "mix and match" as necessary to best serve the constituency
of each chapter.

-Dan