[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Sebastian Moleski sebmol at gmail.com
Sat May 3 13:37:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> Easy you answer it yourself. The USA is one country under God, Europe is
> not.

This really only makes a difference if you let political geography dictate
our choices. I don't see any obvious reason why that should be the case.
Rather, we always have to come back to (1) what purposes chapters serve and
(2) what structure best accomodates those purposes. Ignoring all things
political and legal for a minute, it seems to me that, if any of the
following criteria are fulfilled, a chapter should be eligible to be formed:
* there's a sufficient number of people the chapter would cover with its
activities and could draw from for donations
* there's a sufficient legal or tax advantage that could be exploited (e.g.
tax-deductibility of charitable donations)

Apart from these criteria, why do things like borders matter?

Sebastian