[Foundation-l] Modification of the official board election page

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Sat May 3 06:19:45 UTC 2008

> I completely agree with Ray here. If a document have an official
> effects, people who are legitimately in charge of the matter should
> take care, and the others are welcome to point out  unclear passages,
> and any kind of possible errors including grammatical.
>
> But it is not you, Majorly,  or me,  which is a minor change and which
> is not. Both you and I are  no member of that committee. It is their
> tasks, let them do their own work.
>
> And I would add this rigidity has been a tradition, afaik, since the
> first Board election was held. As far as I know, Election committees
> in each year unanimously have supported this idea, exactly Ray
> explained in his mails.

While I agree with all the above, I have the following question: Is it
stated somewhere that only the English original has a legitimate power? I
mean, the translators are doing their best, but there is no way the
translations will be read with the same care as the original; for
instance, they will never be read by a professional lawyer. Shouldn't it
be a disclaimer on every translated page stating that all legal claims can
only be addressed towards the English text? I am not sure I want somebody
suing me because in Russian translation I unwillingly omitted a comma.

Cheers
Yaroslav