[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Fri May 2 16:06:48 UTC 2008

Delphine writes:

> Would people in the US
> start with metro-area chapters, state-based chapters, regional
> sections? Or with a national one?

That's an interesting question.  When we started EFF (now 18 years
ago), the organization itself was not chapter-based, although we did
initiate memberships within a year. But at least three groups of
individuals -- in California, Texas, and New York City -- started down
the road to forming chapters pretty quickly thereafter. One of them,
EFF-Austin, is still around.  It's separately incorporated and
conducts its own activities within Texas independent of EFF's national
and international activities.  (There are also EFF-like organizations
in Canada and Australia and elsewhere, I believe.)

--Mike