[Foundation-l] Modification of the official board election page

Ryan wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 14:56:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Minor points such as typos, spacing, and anything that doesn't affect the
> actual wording shouldn't need permission to fix. It is a wiki after all.
> If
> someone has translated it without noticing the typo, then it's the problem
> of the translator, not of the person correcting the mistake.<https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l>

Typos won't hurt anyone.  The much bigger problem is that if a change
doesn't actually reflect what is meant, then that could be translated
incorrectly, and incorrect information spreads.

One edit to [[m:Board elections/2008/en]] was a well-meant change regarding
the requirements to run for election, changing "2007" to "2008".  The
contributor assumed that it was copied from last year's page, and hadn't
been changed.  The problem was, 2007 was /correct/ for that particular
requirement.

Given the possibility of incorrect translations that could have negative
effects on voting from some communities, or in the case of the above edit,
make a user think they're eligible to run when they actually aren't, I don't
think a blanket "don't edit this, please" is unreasonable.

--
[[User:Ral315]]