[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Fri May 2 01:50:45 UTC 2008

> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM,  <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
>  >  Are you suggesting that instead of people donating to the WMF, they donate
>  >  to WMF-Nebraska, which then funnels the money to WMF-Int'l.

If I understand you well, you are assuming that the Foundation can
fundraise everywhere efficiently. Well, I think that a local group
will be much better placed to raise awareness, bring about local
projects about free knowledge, and make sure that local people donate.
For some it might mean just pointing towards the donate button on the
Foundation website, for others it might mean having an organisation
that can receive the funds on the spot. Just because it is a natural
thing to be wanting to help what is close to you and it's easier to
trust an organisation of which you can be a part of rather than one
that's sitting 5000 km across the country. A metro-area or state
chapter in the US, I am sure, can boost our donation rates big time.

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Andrew Whitworth
<wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Think about it like the girl scouts. When Girl Scout National
>  Headquarters (or whatever it is called) needs money, it sends the
>  girls out door-to-door to sell cookies. The girls are not all part of
>  an amorphous blob organization, they are organized into little local
>  troops. If I am not mistaken, a portion of proceeds goes to the local
>  organization, and the remainder goes to the national one.

Exactly. The idea being that this is a two way street. In my opinion,
chapters, in the US or otherwise, should make sure that the
Foundation's budget is met by giving it part of their proceeds, and
the Foundation should make sure that money goes back into local
projects carried out by chapters.

Delphine

--
~notafish