[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu May 1 21:58:04 UTC 2008

Birgitte writes:

> Are you not concerned that incorporating chapters into the bylaws of
> WMF, instead of considering them as wholly independent organizations
> that happen to license WMF's trademarks, might make them part of WMF
> in some respect?

Not to any great degree. I anticipate that there will be some
plaintiff here or there that tries to make something out of the fact
that chapters select two seats on the Board, but the requirement that
new Trustees resign from chapter positions should reduce the risk that
chapters may be held liable for Board actions.

To put it another way, the fact that I get to vote for Barack Obama
doesn't mean I'm legally liable for anything the Obama Administration
does.

--Mike