[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:52:39 UTC 2008

2008/5/1 Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org>:

>  Legally speaking, there are good reasons not to consider chapters as
>  the "membership arm of WMF."  The last thing we want is for WM UK (for
>  example) to be summoned into a British court because of a BLP issue on
>  a Foundation-operated project.

I'll mention here that WMUK shudders at the prospect, and that Alison
and I both get a certain amount of email from aggrieved subjects of
living biographies and generally just forward it to OTRS (because
info at wikimedia.org really is the very best place for mail from
aggrieved BLP subjects), usually advising them we're only volunteers
but it's been referred to the right place.

Anything that would even hint at making WMUK editorially liable for
wiki content would kill WMUK in short order.

- d.