[Foundation-l] Election rules modification regardingsuffrageissues raised on this list

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 1 17:46:22 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> In the past, Delphine as well as a few others (mainly technical
> people, names escape me at the moment) were listed as independent
> contractors. I've seen no indication that has actually changed (i.e.
> nobody saying X, a past contractor, has been hired as an actual
> employee).

A lot depends on the reason for having an independent contractor.  A
person working outside the United States is better treated as an
independent contractor to avoid complications with United States
employment and taxation laws.  The distinction can be defined
differently for election purposes than for employment law purposes.

Ec