[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Thu May 1 17:45:12 UTC 2008

Well, some people are talking about US chapterS, but shouldn't there
be only one chapter per country? Otherwise, other chapters could get
the idea to split up and have e.g. 16 chapters in Germany.
Especially when chapters will have the right to vote for Board
members, one will have to be strict about that.
Ziko

2008/5/1 Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org>:

>  Birgitte writes:
>
>  > The US sub-national issue is not about power but logistics.   One
>  > national chapter will never self-organize in the US.  All the
>  > incentives to do so (tax-deductabilty, legal support, press
>  > contacts) have been "stolen" by the WMF.
>
>  So far as I know, there is no legal prohibition or hurdle that
>  prevents either a national chapter or a subnational chapter from
>  forming in the United States.  Such a chapter certainly could organize
>  itself as a nonprofit, seek tax-deductible status, and so on.
>
>  I do wish you hadn't used the word "stolen," even if you mean for it
>  to be a metaphor.
>
>  I agree that there are geographic hurdles with regard to a U.S.
>  national chapter, but would stop short of predicting that a national
>  chapter will "never self-organize."  Over the course of my career,
>  I've frequently been surprised at the willingness of large geographic
>  groups to self-organize.
>

>  --Mike

Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde