[Foundation-l] The fallacy of power

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu May 1 09:21:07 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Both Erik and Anthere indicated their wish that the communities, the
projects organise themselves. The one big thing missing in the WMF is that
the  community looks after itself. All projects are isolated, do not
cooperate, think the other projects scary. Holy cows like the English notion
that Featured articles are NPOV are routinely slaughtered in other projects.
The notion that an article sourced to the hilt can be POV as it does not
address what is written in other scholarly traditions is a notion that is
hardly considered.

When there is fear about interference of the board in the projects, then the
only reason why the board can do and would do such things is because there
is a big vacuum. The projects are not organised. The community has no voice
and as Anthere put it, when a council is started by fiat of the board, it
defines the relation.

The board of trustees and the WMF organisation enable our projects but
because of the lack of evident organisation, the autonomy of the projects is
fracrtured. There is no voice of the community, all that can be done is post
a question and find that entropy establishes itself so what is the point ?

When criticism of the board centres around fear, fear of what a future board
might do, then the only reasonable answer is to ensure that there is no
reason to fear. This is done best by organising a community / project
council, the place where the policies of the projects, the communities are
managed. When the community lookst after itself, there will be less room for
the board, the organisation to interfere.

This does not mean that a council cannot go rogue. However, they would be
completely and utterly our own rogues.
Thanks,
     GerardM