[Foundation-l] [OT] Top posting

Samuel Henderson samueljhenderson at gmail.com
Thu May 1 02:02:20 UTC 2008

It is, however, a serious issue for anyone subscribing to the digest, where
few (if any) mail clients can correctly distinguish the quoted text; as a
result, the digest becomes orders of magnitude longer than it should be.  I
recently  switched from digest to individual delivery, largely for this
reason, although given the level of noise this has created in my inbox I
doubt if this is sustainable.

I heartily second Delphine's original request.  If it does not seem
worthwhile to trim the excess lines from the bottom of a post for the sake
of one's readers (something which takes at most a few seconds), it might be
best to reconsider whether the post is worth sending at all.

Posts to Foundation-L differ from business email, in part, in that this is a
public, not a private, conversation, and a threaded archive is available for
anyone who loses track of individual emails.  There are good reasons for
top-posting in business conversations (for example, to maintain a clear
record of the conversation leading up to a particular transaction), but
these do not apply on this list AFAICT.

Cheers,

Sam