[Foundation-l] Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu May 1 00:48:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30/04/2008, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
>  > different projects?
>  > Do internal wikis count?
>  >
>  > I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
>  > one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
>  > vote.
>  >
>  >
>  > Delphine
>  >

>  Delphine - it's seriously not difficult to get 50 edits. I myself have made
>  over 1000 in one hour just on recent changes patrol. 50 edits is tiny, and
>  considering all the tools available, it really shouldn't be very difficult
>  to get 50 edits.

Well, I just took an hour to make 18 edits ;) But then, I was doing
research to source a biography. I have been known to take an hour to
make just one or two edits, doing the same kind of work. 50 edits may
or may not be a lot of work, depending on just what it is you're doing
onwiki and how familiar you are with the tools.

Generally, editcountitis is a fairly poor measure of community
participation -- it's just the only readily accessible metric we've
got. Nathan said it very well up-thread -- people whose contributions
don't translate into edits shouldn't be penalized. It seems pretty
obvious to me that Delphine, and the volunteer sysadmins, and others
in a similar position are clearly community members and should clearly
have the right to vote regardless of their RC patrolling skills. It
seems like there's a few classes of exceptions that could be easily
made in the election rules without over-compromising the process;
developers and sysadmins are the people that have come up the most so
far.

Regardless, thanks to the election committee for explaining your
reasoning on the matter.

-- phoebe