No subject

Fri Mar 14 23:02:16 UTC 2008

Norwegian language) will be preserved, and the destruction only concerns
international papers in other languages. Is that correct?

Well, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with burning them. One might
want to check if archives of those papers exist in their country of
origin, but if so, there simply is no need to preserve warehouses full
of dead trees.

Regarding digitalization: That's the responsibility of the national
library of origin of those newspapers. And most of them already are
digitalized or are in the process or queued for it.

If those newspapers are the usual suspects I would expect in a Norwegian
archive such as Svenska Dagbladet, Berlingske Tidende, Politiken, London
Times, Le Monde, El Mundo, New York Times and Washington Post,
Frankfurter Allgemeine, Prawda, and so on, I would assume that all of
them are available online and why should a Norwegian university spend
time and money to create another copy?

Digitalization and online archives allow that not every research library
in the world has to do the same job again and again.

Ciao Henning