[Foundation-l] A Wikimania for everyone?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Mar 31 07:39:37 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> What if we had multiple events. For example;
>
> Wikimania: The World Wikimedia Conference
> Wikiconferences:The Chapter Convention
>
> thoughts?
This is already happening in some countries, but it really depends on
people on site to get things organized.  Granted it's easier for a small
countries like Serbia or the Netherlands where no-one really has to
travel very far.

For now there is an understanding that Wikimania takes place in July or
August, so that leaves plenty of calender for everyone else.  It's
conceivable that Wikimania could take place at another time of year to
take advantage of lower off-peak travel costs, but others might find
this an impossible time of year for distant travel.  Regional or local
conferences don't require long travel time, and can easily be run on a
long weekend.

Ec