[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:11:49 UTC 2008

Hoi,
It is absolutely clear in my mind. The cost of travelling is only one of a
multitude of criteria that decide where our Wikimania will be held. When you
bias the bidding process by giving more weight to one factor, you will as a
consequence not get the bids from places that are discriminated against. The
only good thing about this is when it is said in advance because it means
that people will not bother to bid.

It is also a nonsense to think that a conference in Europe or the USA is
more accessible; getting a visa for both places is increasingly problematic.
When people think about a conference for all of us the cost of getting there
is only one factor in allowing people to attend.

In my opinion it is unfortunate that the committee has expressed a vague
opinion about the likely venue for 2010. I would have preferred it when the
best offer would be allowed to win and that all offers would be weighed on
their own merit.
Thanks,
      GerardM