[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Jason Safoutin jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org
Mon Mar 31 06:10:17 UTC 2008

foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> Austin
> 	If it were simply a matter of being "closer to Europe and North
> America," however, and if that were the deciding factor, Toronto would
> have won easily.  When we talk about "accessibility," we look at the
> broader community, not just the NATO-centric view.  As Patricia points
> out later in this thread, South America is home to a huge chunk of our
> existing and potential community; we could go on to talk about the
> continuing recovery from the eswiki fork or debate Ameri- and
> Euro-centricity, and although I'm sure somebody will before this
> thread ends, the plain fact is that Buenos Aires was judged the
> superior bid?with due consideration to who will be able to attend.
Really we can do without the attacks of being "NATO-centric" Its not
about that. Its about who can attend. And maybe if WM was in areas that
people would be able to attend, people would go...at least more than
from what I hear, 25% of the people not affiliated with WMF.

I don't know where you get a superior attendance from a place like
Toronto or something else. Maybe the jury has money or is well off, but
if you took into consideration the "cultural diversity" then you would
realize that WMF contributers, a majority cannot dream of going there or
Egypt.

What broader community exactly? Because the way I see it is the
project's communities come first. My biggest priority would be to get
contributers there first rather than seeing if we can appeal to people
who have no clue what Wikimedia is.

Jason Safoutin (DragonFire1024)