[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Mon Mar 31 04:46:45 UTC 2008

This idea that having a Wikimania in your area is outreach is really
odd to me. Do we think that more than a handful of people in
Alexandria that have never heard of Wikipedia will join because of a
convention at the library? Seems unlikely to me. It's a user
convention, not an advertising campaign. The two are pretty different.

I don't absolutely hate this choice, but I would love to see the
criteria get changed to something more along the lines of making it a
priority that the most *contributers* to the projects can attend. If
this means the *user convention* rotates from Europe, to Japan, to the
US, so be it. That's where the people are who want to go. If more
people go, more people will pay to attend, and we can afford more
scholarships for the people who have to go a long way.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion