[Foundation-l] Announcement: Wikimania *2009*

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Mar 31 04:33:53 UTC 2008

Congratulations to the Buenos Aires bidding team for being chosen to
host Wikimania 2009! And thanks to all the other bidding teams for
their efforts. I'm really happy that the Wikimedia community in
Argentina and the rest of South America will have such a wonderful
opportunity to share its experiences with the rest of us.

Phoebe, a word of thanks to you and the other members of the jury is
also in order. The jury is doing an amazing job every year and has to
make -- and defend -- a very difficult choice. Not only does it have
to turn down competing bids, many of which are often excellent, it's
also limited to the bids received: It is not the role of the jury to
create additional choices; these choices are created through local
grass-roots efforts. I am confident that the jury has chosen, using
varied criteria, the best available venue for next year's conference,
and am hopeful that we will continue to see many great bids in 2010,
2011 and the years to come. :-)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation