[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Jason Safoutin jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org
Mon Mar 31 02:52:42 UTC 2008

foundation-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org wrote:
> In the letter, the Jury wanted to note that they *had* paid attention
> to the many discussions on this subject, that this issue of community
> accessibility had been discussed extensively amongst the jury members,
> give the reasons why it was felt Buenos Aires was the best bid
> irregardless of location, and also acknowledge that there are a lot of
> people who would like to see another Wikimania in Europe or North
> America -- and that thus strong bids from those places would be
> welcome for 2010's Wikimania.
>
> -- phoebe

Its really clear at least in my opinion they have not. It seems from my
experience on WMF they pick locals that will make the most noise in
terms of publicity. If you take a map and point to Buenos Aires, and
compare that to any other place, we may as well go to Antarctica. I am
being realistic here.

This just reiterates my earlier point of this is nothing but a bells and
whistles publicity cry. If the Jury truly paid any attention to the
concerns with Egypt and previous Wikimanias then I serious doubt we
would be having this conversation. Stop making Wikimania a political
stunt. The more we rant about how the jury obviously has more money than
the rest of the WMF contributers, the less that will go. This is
supposed to be something for the contributers, and as I stated before,
the vast majority of those contributers, will not be able to attend.
Good job.

Jason Safoutin (DragonFire1024)